Wednesday, October 11, 2017

SLADS Day Two

     Another early morning, this time colder.  Mort seemed fine again today, though he did a touch more dancing when it came to braiding.  We got another breakfast from Panera and spent some time watching the morning rides.  I didn't ride until 9:44.  It was fun watching the other rides and explaining stuff to Steven.  I think he picked up on a lot this weekend. 

     Anyway, we got all dressed and tacked up for me to get on a little after 9:00.  I was thinking of using a similar warm-up to the one I used Saturday afternoon.  If you'll remember, I did admit that Mort just came out of his stall ready to go and I wasn't sure whether it was really my warm-up that got him going well or not.  It wasn't my warm-up.  Mort was an unhappy camper.  He was touchy with that left rein and didn't give me much relaxation over the topline.  I did a lot of our regular stuff and got him going OK.  He'd stay steady for me until I asked for something new, but then came back for the most part.  The left lead canter never really got where I wanted and our transitions were wild but the warm-up isn't the time or place to school the crap out of something. 

     I did some stretchy trot and a couple trot/walk/trot transitions while we trotted around the outside of the court before the bell.  The idea in my head was that they would relax him and help me have a good half-halt.  It was a hopeful thought.  Our trot work actually wasn't that bad.  He definitely didn't ever give me his topline well but he did stay with me for the most part.  We had reasonable scores for the most part other than his lengthens and stretchy (let's not talk about coefficients).  His walk work is usually a good spot for us and he did pull a 7 for that free walk.  I can almost always count on Mort to give me a good free walk.

     Our canter work left a lot to be desired.  Like maybe a semblance of relaxing or giving or being something other than a solid board.  Test two starts with the left lead canter at A followed by a 15-meter circle on the long side.  He started as a giraffe.  I thought that he'd come back to me on the circle.  I spent some time lifting my hands in the half-halt then letting go a bit to let him feel like he could stretch down.  I tried not lengthening and adding too much.  I then tried lengthening a little to see if that could un-stick him.  Eventually I realized that I was just along for the ride.  I kept trying little half-halts and releases to no avail.  Our right lead canter was better, but by then I was so nervous to ask for much expression so we just stuck with mediocre scores. 

     We pulled a 54.8% in that test.  It was definitely deserved.  As much as I wasn't happy with the ride, it could have been much worse.  He did all of the things I asked, he just said that he couldn't do them and relax at the same time.  I don't know if he was cold, sore, tired, too energetic from being inside, or whatever else, but it's good to know I haven't found the magic routine to make him a relaxed Mort at shows....yet.

     Mort and I had a while to recover from that ride.  I didn't ride until 1:36 that afternoon so we spent some time relaxing and eating.  I got on about 1:00 and got the same Mort that I had Saturday afternoon.  He still had some tension issues, but getting him to connect and change was just so much easier from the moment that I got on.  Good boy, but I am frustrated to not really knowing how to get him to relax and let go for me.  Just still something to keep on working on. 

     Our second ride of the day went really well.  We got a 64.8%.  He did get away from me a couple times but I was able to get him right back--quite the opposite from the morning.  Our trot work was good and he did really well on his leg yields.  I think he finally learned what centerlines were all about this weekend.  We've struggled with them in the past--wavering and having poor halts.  This weekend he was straight and ready to halt (Test Three on Saturday he actually halted too early because we halt at G and he was confused).  I can't wait for him to figure out those trot extensions on the diagonals. 

     Overall my boy was good this weekend.  I think every experience was a good one as I never let his tension escalate into a fight.  If he wasn't good I just quietly tried again. Hopefully all of these experiences will lead to a Mort who can relax and have happy rides more and more often.     

No comments:

Post a Comment