Monday, October 23, 2017

Rainy Days and Motivation

     It's been a slow week.  I got on Mort a few times and we worked a lot on straightness and relaxing.  Nothing too exciting after his time off, but important none-the-less.  I had some non-horse plans Friday so he enjoyed a day off (well I assume he enjoyed it).  Saturday was supposed to be the last warm day for a while so Mort got a bath and a trace clip. 

     Sunday brought in the sort of rainy and cool weather that makes me want to stay on the couch all day.  Alas, instead of that I put a pot of chili on the stove and headed to the barn.  I'm glad I did, because we got enough rain that the ponies were all stuck inside for the day.  The good news is that Mort stayed clean after his bath at least.  If he'd been outside he would have for sure turned into a mud demon. 

     After a quick brushing I hopped on him bareback and we took a walk along the gravel road.  It was almost misty, but luckily my timing let us take a decent walk.  There is a house that always has loose dogs that we have to turn around at, which is super annoying, but other than that Mort and I enjoyed a relaxing walk.  I spent a few minutes in the indoor getting him to connect and straighten between my aids at the walk and called it a day. 

     Mort and I have had a fairly unfocused couple of weeks.  He definitely does better in regular work as far as our dressage goes, but I am happy to have a horse I can hop on bareback on a cool day and trust him to take care of us.  Hopefully the weather will dry out some so we can get back to work outside soon. 

     There is a schooling show next weekend at one of our favorite venues.  I'm on the fence right now as to whether I'm going or not.  Mort hasn't had a lot of dressage work lately so I don't feel good making the jump to second level like I was considering trying a month or so ago.  This definitely isn't the end of the world and putting in another show at first level won't be bad for us either.  I am well aware that I still don't have him figured out in a show environment.  I need to look into when the entries are due I guess!

1 comment:

  1. Show miles are good even if the level is easy - that's all Grif and I have focused on this year. Wishing you the nest in your decision making!

    ReplyDelete