Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Be a Tortoise

     Last night had some good and bad moments. Overall he wasn't that bad--fairly good in the connection and he's getting better about straightness now that I haven't been forgetting that it's a thing. He's gotten a fun habit of leaning on my inside leg on the far side of a circle or corner--by far side I mean side that is furthest from the barn. Obviously he's just cutting in some because barn = life. It's not a huge thing and it's certainly not an unusual thing. He only barely does it. But annoying.

     I think I'm going to try to set up some cones or poles to play with some square exercises. I'll most likely also spiral in and leg yield out because it's a real winner as well. I like that four cones can be a square or a circle depending on what you need. Not having to set-up a bunch of crap is always a win. I am also going to experiment with dropping him down a gait (or two) on the far corner. I can make him do it at the walk. I can usually make him do it at the trot. I cannot make him do it at the canter. I think if I just drop him down a couple times he'll understand it in "easier" gaits and hopefully it'll translate.

     I've just been having more meh rides than great rides on Mort lately. We'll have good and bad (and obviously I focus on the bad because my mind is my enemy) moments. We'll work through some stuff. It just isn't coming as easy as it was a couple months ago. I'm certain it's a combination of colder weather and not being as consistent with our rides. I've been riding about as often, but we've had a lot more rides with less dressage focus. It's not a bad thing as I wanted to give him a bit of a break after our show. I think it just means I need to be a little slower bringing him back than I wanted to.

     It's so much more mental for him (and me) than it is physical at this point. Slow and steady. Soft hands. Encourage a longer neck. Aka--more basics less second level. I get it dressage gods; it's not supposed to be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment