Thursday, October 5, 2017

Rainy Days

     We're getting some much needed rain in Missouri right now.  I can't truly complain as the ground was about as hard as concrete and the grass was about dead.  Hopefully this rain can stretch out fall grazing just a little longer.  Grass is so much better than hay for Mr. Mort's appetite.  But, lots of rain also means lots of mud in Missouri (especially on a new construction barn), so the ponies were left inside yesterday and today.  While it's appreciated that BM takes into account all of the mud/shoes/potential injuries in bad footing, it's not ideal.  It's what I would have done as well for sure, but it's probably not what the ponies would have picked. 

     Anyway, with them being inside all day yesterday, Mort's legs were a bit stocky.  He's just not used to standing around all day.  I did a light lunge with a ton of walk (about ten minutes of it at the end was me just waiting for the rain to let up some so I could walk from the indoor to the barn without taking a shower).  His legs were happy by the end.  He was quiet and obedient and attentive.  He gave me a swingy, stretchy trot almost the entire time.  He had a couple of exuberant canter transitions, but they were prompt and correct.  In spite of being stuck inside and the loud rain on the roof he was 98% foot perfect. 

     I spent some time cleaning my bridle after his lunge since it was shorter than riding.  I need to figure out when I want to clean his girth and saddle.  I may end up doing it at the show depending on when my ride times are.  Today I plan on a short work ride with hopefully a good amount of walk.  It'll be great if it's not raining and I can take him along the fence line, but we'll just have to see.  I'll pack up the trailer with most of the items we'll need this weekend and hopefully not forget anything.  I need to fit in a run as well since I'll most likely miss out on my Saturday run.  I plan on taking tomorrow off of work so I'll have ample time to run, shower, bathe Mort, and finish any packing that I don't get done tonight.   

No comments:

Post a Comment