Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Weather Blues

May I just complain about the weather for a minute? Last week we were finally getting dry again and I was able to ride consistently for like a whole week. Mort and I were getting back into the swing of things and feeling great. I even had time to work Blue a couple times. Things felt good if I ignored the extended forecast. Unfortunately, I stopped being able to ignore it when it started dumping buckets of rain. We even had a tornado and flash flood warning last Friday. That never happens in January in Missouri. WTF, weather? After the sky stopped drenching us with water, it changed to ice, followed by an inch or so of snow. For those of you unfamiliar, snow makes the ground even more wet than rain because it soaks in as it melts. It's basically the difference of taking a shower versus a bath--only one of those gives you wrinkly fingers. Thankfully, the snow mostly melted yesterday as it got to about 40 degrees. But the ground is basically just a mud puddle at this point. We're supposed to get more rain tomorrow, followed by more snow on Friday. Then it stays pretty cold for the foreseeable future. We'll have lows in the single digits with highs hitting 40 if we're lucky. So we're basically going to be bouncing back and forth between frozen mud and mud for a long, long time. Here's to hoping that the weatherperson is wrong. My last ride on Mort was 6 days ago. Blue was worked 5 days ago. I'm actually hoping for some frozen ground this weekend so that we can at least do walk rides and the boys can go out in the pasture. I'll ride on the road a little bit as well, but Mort isn't confident out there yet so they're short adventures. I'm sure the boys are going to be tired of being stuck in the lot. I'm going to be tired of not riding. We'll make it through though. Next winter I'll have an arena that should be a little easier to navigate the wet ground with. We'll add even more rock to the lot so the boys have more of an area to stretch their legs without having to deal with mud. Here's to second winter and just taking it day-to-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment