Thursday, January 9, 2020

Lesson Recap

Mort and I started off the year by taking a short trip to where my instructor teaches. It was our first field trip since the show in August (other than moving him home), and it was our first single day field trip since the last time we took a lesson there at the beginning of August. If you remember, that trip didn't go exactly as planned. He was pretty good for our lesson but it took a LONG time and some drama to get him back on the trailer. So, needless to say, I hoped this trip was a little easier on both of us. Mort and I have been hitting the trailer loading practice hard. I hook up every other week or so. He's gotten so comfortable that he just quietly follows me right up. To add some challenge to that, I've practiced in some less than ideal conditions (think noisy neighbors, high wind, etc.). We've had some set-backs, but overall he's gotten more and more confident. I felt like we were ready for an adventure, and I was certainly ready for a heated indoor arena. We set out Saturday morning. Mort followed me right up like a good boy. He was a bit up when we unloaded, but nothing dramatic or scary. He settled in his stall eating his alfalfa while Steven and I unloaded all his gear. Side bar: it's ridiculous how much stuff one horse needs for a one hour lesson off site. He tacked up quietly and we headed to the arena. He's been to this facility several times now, so he's fairly relaxed as long as it's quiet. Thankfully it was just us in there so we were able to warm-up and let him take in the sites on a loose rein. I slowly started to pick him up and play with suppleness and relaxation. The whole goal right now is to keep him relaxed through everything--especially when we leave home. So when he's happy, relaxed, and on the aids, I get to ask for more. If he stays relaxed, I get to ask for even more, but if he gets tense, we drop back down a level of difficultness. This will be my winter/spring training plan since we don't get to ride as consistently with the weather and footing. So we worked our way up slowly. Mort was overall in a great and learning mood. I actually asked if we could call it quits after some great trot leg yield into canter and my instructor agreed. We ended with some stretchy trot and called it a day. It wasn't my full time allotted for the lesson, but I am really trying to focus on his experience more than the training on these field trips. I can train at home for now and it'll all be there as he gets more and more confident in new places. I'm hoping that I can get out at least once more before our first schooling show of the year. We'll see. Mort happily munched on his alfalfa again as we loaded up the trailer. I started to get a bit nervous. Finally it was time to see how Mort would load for me. I walked up, he hesitated. I gave him a second to think and relax. I asked for a step forward and he gave me a couple. I gave him another second. I asked for more forward and he walked right on. Good boy! I was so, so happy with my boy. I can only hope his happy mood for both our lesson and the loading is a good sign on what we can accomplish this coming year. Blue handled being left home alone like a champ. I did lock him in the lot as I've been using the lot as their "safe space". It's where I lock them when I'm riding the other horse and they seem to handle that well. I also gave him a flake of alfalfa to ease his mind and his tummy if he had any nerves. But he never ran or paced that I saw and ate his hay, so I think he was happy enough. This is great since it's likely he'll be left alone when I take Mort to shows/clinics/etc. I'm not above borrowing a horse if needed, but if Blue continues to handle it well that's even better. A good start to the year. Mort was calm and happy for both our lesson and trailering. Blue wasn't worried about being left alone for several hours. The weather has been as nice as you can ask for in January in Missouri. I've got homework and a plan for the rest of winter and into spring. Here's to keeping it all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment