Tuesday, January 7, 2020

2019 Goals

Checking in on my goals now that we're wrapping up the year. Riding-Related: Show 2nd Level This could go either way but I'm putting it out there for the universe to know about it This did not happen. The house and property took up a lot of time, stress/focus, and money. It was a stretch goal anyway. Establish half-pass in trot and canter Within this is haunches-in in trot and canter as well We have it at the walk, and I've started playing with it in the trot. Haunches-in is a hard concept for him. Be able to pick Mort up from a loose rein walk and have him "there" for me This is so much better than where we were at the beginning of the year. I've learned how to do it better and Mort has learned that it's not the end of the world most of the time. Develop Mort's medium/extended trot and canter I feel really good about these at home. We don't have the relaxation at shows to really give his best yet, but they're in there somewhere. Develop a more relaxed "back-up" I'd say we have this now. Establish a walking turn-on-haunches We've played with some really big ones, but I want to actually tackle them under the eye of my instructor Develop a more even seat Forever a work in progress of course, but definitely better than where I was at the beginning of the year. Have more control over which seat bone carries more weight AKA: don't allow Mort's body to dictate my seat as much Yes! Much more aware and quicker about fixing it. Probably won't ever be easy. Develop more consistent hands AKA: an even feel of his mouth on both sides, not allowing one hand to become lazy Much better than where I was at the beginning of the year. Get better about the release of aids so that Mort can become lighter off of them All these rider goals are going to continue to be works in progress, but as long as I'm working on them that's what counts I'd say he's lighter off the aids. It's a combination of things, but I'll give this some of the credit. I was probably only slightly above mediocre at really improving this. Don't allow myself to get frustrated I was really good about this--only having a few rides where my frustration was present. Being aware of this is a big part of why I backed off this fall. There was too much stress in my life outside of horses that I knew it would bleed into my rides if I tried for anything beyond basics. I'm proud of myself for recognizing that and backing off. Have my instructor out for 6 (or more) lessons I think I got 5 lessons in this year. Attend 2 clinics Ideally as a rider, but auditor will also be acceptable I signed up for a couple and they both ended up being cancelled! Hopefully I do better this next year. I did audit one in December. Attend 2 shows Well we went to one recognized show and that was it. I went as a groom to a couple though. Horse-Related: Get Mort consistent about loading with a ramp I want Mort to calmly walk onto all three trailers that I have access to Several of my other goals will rely upon this one We took a few field trips. He's gotten more and more confident about loading. And I've figured out a method that works for us when he doesn't want to load. I plan to practice every couple weeks at home to keep him sharp. Get our property horse They moved out there October 19th! Best feeling ever. The arena is still a work-in-progress, but it's coming along. Non Horse-Related: Run 2 half-marathons I got in two--one in June and one in September. The one in September was my fastest one yet. Run 6-8 miles/day 3-4 times/week Definitely didn't do this. But I ran 3-4 times/week. Now that I'm back in the gym I've also added some weight training. Lose 5lbs And learn how to maintain that weight Oh, this went up and down unfortunately (like it always does). I lose weight then get overconfident about what I need to do to maintain that and it creeps back on. Oh well. I'm healthy and fit and that's what actually matters (or at least that's what I try to tell myself). Work hard on getting our house built and working on our property Still working hard on it. We've got a house and roof and plumbing and duct work and electrical. Interior things are well underway. Hopefully we'll be in sometime in the spring or summer. Plant a small vegetable garden It was planted. And grew a few things. And was severely neglected. I think I need to wait until we're more settled into our lives at the house before I tackle this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment