Thursday, March 2, 2017

Another Clinic Re-Cap

     BM dropped Mort of at the facility Tuesday around midday.  She left him happy with plenty of hay and water.  I got there mid-afternoon and he seemed fairly settled.  He hadn’t eaten a ton of hay, but he didn’t seem too upset in any way.  I decided to bathe him and then take him on a walk.  He was a bit more active during our bath, but nothing awful.  He kept making little, quiet squeals to express his displeasure.  After that I took him out for a walk, I was going to let him graze but he was entirely too distracted by the goats making noise in the distance.  He was a handful, but he usually is after a bath—they always make him want to run around. 

     I tossed him back in his stall and he started eating hay, so the walk helped relax him enough to eat more vigorously.  I then went to audit some other riders in the clinic.  I got a neat exercise that utilized leg yields on a square with turn on the forehand on the corners.  Definitely something I want to try with Mort to get him more inside leg to outside rein.  There was a break at 5:45, so before that I went back to tack Mort up so that I could get him in the arena and then hop on him in the other arena to stretch his legs.  He has been in both arenas before, especially the dressage arena as we took some lessons there this past summer, but extra exposure never hurts. 

     While we waited for the other arena to be open (after the lesson finished up) Mort got to see his first Saddlebreds.  He thought they were moderately exciting, but the real excitement came from seeing the cart.  He didn’t relax until that crazy thing left.  He was definitely a bit more “up” than usual but after some big, long trot he settled in. 

     This ride was mainly to stretch his legs and loosen up for Wednesday.  I did play a little bit with lengthenings since riding in a big arena makes that easier.  I wanted to experiment with getting them and getting him back to his working gait.  He did fairly well, so I think we’ll most likely try a first level test at a local schooling show toward the end of this month.  Other than that, this ride was simple with some leg yields and shoulder-in at the walk and trot and a few canter transitions each direction.  He was a good boy and nice and forward. 

     After the ride I cooled him out, fed him, put all my tack away (I need a tack trunk so I don’t have to haul all my crap back and forth from the trailer), and left him for the night.  We had some serious storms that night, but when I got there around 6:00 the next morning he seemed like he had a restful night.  We hand walked for ten minutes, I cleaned his stall, fed him, and left for work.  A couple hours later I left work and came back for him.  We walked again and I hauled all my crap back to the barn. 

     Our lesson was good.  The beginning we focused on my seat and really using it to drive him.  I really liked that the clinician’s answer to Mort getting hollow was simply to ignore it and keep my aids on until he figured it out on his own.  We worked on sitting and lengthening his stride, especially coming from his hind end.  By the end of this work he had definitely rotated his pelvis underneath himself and was pushing well.  I was exhausted from all of that ab work, but made it through on my runner’s lung capacity. 

The middle of the lesson was getting Mort in between my lateral aids.  We did bend and counter-bend on a circle switching posting diagonals as we switched bend.  This evolved into canter transitions where a stride after we went back to true bend I’d ask for canter.  This helped him from falling out in the transitions.  We also worked on asking for the transition with ONLY my seat instead of seat and leg since he sometimes kicks out at my leg.  He struggled a couple of times with prompt transitions, but I think it’s something he’ll appreciate once he really gets it.  We’ll do more practice with them where I ask with my seat and if he doesn’t respond back it up with my leg a stride or two later. 

     The last part of the ride we touched on some counter canter with big figure eights.  He wanted to fall some and she had me sit up more and half-halt with the outside rein which helped.  I really like counter canter to get better control of his shoulders. 

     The clinic was overall good.  I usually appreciate another set of eyeballs on me (and the price and location were great).  I didn’t have any huge breakthroughs, but good work.  Essentially just continue doing what I’m doing while asking for more in terms of gaits.  Also, sit the F**k up and use my lower back muscles more.  I also got to take Mort on our first overnight adventure and take note of how he behaved and ate. 


     I’m really proud of how far Mort and I have come.  He is getting more and more consistent and most of the time when I ask him to step-up he happily does so.  A year ago I was happy when he kept his balance and steered well.  Now we’re working on some first and second level items (nowhere near ready to show second, but we’re working on elements).  He’s a good pony and I’m glad we’ve turned this other page in our training.  

No comments:

Post a Comment