Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Ride Recaps and Massage

     Well, I have stuck to the weekly schedule exactly 0%.  I blame holidays and Mort being unable to wear a girth right now.  Trying to make a schedule and goals = immediate horse injury.  Luckily he’s completely sound and it doesn’t seem to be bothering him at all.  But the small scab that remains is right in the girth area so for now we bareback. 

     He got a full week off while the swelling went down and I went home for the holidays.  Last week I lunged him twice then hopped on him bareback on Friday.  We had a fun and easy ride reminding him how to carry himself and move off of my leg. 

     Saturday was really nice so I took him out to the big hay field.  It was a ton of fun.  Mort had a lot of energy while still listening enough to work on some transitions within the gaits and lateral work.  It was a super fun ride that helped remind me that Mort is actually learning things.  He also gets bonus points for me being able to take him outside, bareback, and alone because a year ago that would have been a hard no.

     Sunday we did an easy arena ride focusing on working up into the bridle and trying to lift those shoulders (especially his troublesome left shoulder).  After that ride I spent some time grooming him (his mane was long overdue for being pulled).  After that he had his massage appointment.  

     Overall I’m calling it a success (he was a bit kick-y to her working on his hind end).  She plans on coming back out in two weeks and doing him again.  He responded really well to the red light and we’re going to keep him on that over the next two weeks.  She thinks most of Mort’s problems stem from tension.  His left shoulder was definitely a problem area (no surprise from me) and it was connected to the left stifle.  I wasn’t sure which was the chicken and which was the egg, but she thinks that it’s the shoulder causing the stifle issues.  She left us homework exercises and stretching so the next two weeks will be full of that.  Hopefully we can get him lifting more with that left shoulder and using himself properly. 


     Monday he was very tough to move off of my left leg.  I chalked it up to sore muscles and let him take it easy with stretching (while still making him move off of my leg).  Today I hope to work on the poles (part of the exercise she left was working over poles).  Hopefully by the end of the week his scratch will have healed enough that I can actually ride him again.  No saddle = no canter work because his withers would probably make me want to die with a sassy transition.  

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear his massage went well 😀 I know Ruby ADORES the red light. And yay for being able to go out alone to the field bareback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really seems to relax well with it...which is always a struggle with Mr. Mort!

      Delete