Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Our Current Problems

Since I am writing this blog mainly to keep track of our progress together I’m going to focus this post on what we’re currently struggling with.  I’m sure some of the things we will always struggle with (he tracks better right than left), but hopefully some of these items go away or get more specific with time. 

Transitions
Trot to canter is actually getting better, but he still will sometimes pin his ears and kick out a hind leg or he’ll try to rush his trot and fall into the canter instead of stepping into it. 

Canter to trot definitely involves falling onto the forehand or just slamming on the breaks so hard that we walk/trot scramble.  There are also improvements on this front as I do more of them. 

Walk/free walk involves tension and anticipation.  He knows that when I start to gather him that exciting things are about to happen.  I need to just combat this with gathering him and letting him back down without doing anything too exciting—it’ll help get a better free walk too.  No rein walking around the arena he has a wonderful walk, but when I start to try to make it a free walk on contact he gets tension and doesn’t want to give me that topline stretch and loose stride. 

Lengthened gaits to working gaits still sometimes seem to surprise him and cause too much of a shutdown.  More of these will hopefully make these transitions better as well (half halts happen bro).
 
Lateral Movements
Moving off left leg is still a real struggle somedays (I know it being my weak way doesn’t help but we’ll talk about that later).  He wants to fall out through his shoulder so when I try to prevent that he thinks that I don’t want him to move out at all.  Getting that left hind underneath him laterally is ongoing for sure.  Oddly enough he’s been a lot better about it at the canter lately than trot.  I fixed one thing and broke another because I’m an adult amateur.  Sorry Mort.

Shoulder-in isn’t actually too bad.  Every once in a while he wants to just swing his haunches out instead of truly bringing in the shoulder, but as long as I notice it it’s not too bad. 

Haunches-in is still a real struggle for us.  I have the feel of it in my head, but that feel comes from horses who were already trained to do it correctly.  I’m definitely struggling to convey what I want to Mort.  We can hold it for a few strides coming out of corners or off of circles but more than that and we lose it.  He doesn’t understand moving his haunches in while maintaining the bend that I want.  Leg pressure outside = haunches in.  Leg pressure at the girth at the same time = confusing.  They often turn into leg yields.  For now, I’m just trying to set him up for success and do them coming off of a circle or corner and keeping it for a couple strides then straightening him myself before we lose it.  Hopefully that will click someday—also lessons from people who are smarter and better than I. 

Quality of Gaits
Walk without human interference = awesome and swingy and big.  Walk with human interference = some tension and anticipation.  We lose some of that swing and power and it makes me sad.  I need to work on that.

Trot has good days and bad.  Tracking right I am having more and more good days where I can really feel him pushing from behind and getting that controlled power feeling.  To the left he’s much less likely to give me that feeling without a lot of work on ‘forward and back’.  He wants to give me more of a training level frame (instead of the uphill feeling I get the other direction) and I definitely can’t feel his back working as well this direction.  He has been sucking back a lot less lately and really working into the contact well—every ride has foamy lips these days. 

Canter is coming along.  He is round and using his back well.  His hind legs come underneath him fairly well.  Getting him to sit is going to be a real challenge, but I knew that coming in from his conformation and usual way of going.  He gives me uphill moments (especially to the right), so I know it’s in there somewhere.  I’m just going to have to work on strength and understanding. 

My Problems
The entire left side of my body.  It’s dumb and I can’t make it stop.  When Mr. Mort wants to blow through his right shoulder and fall out my left hand does things that it shouldn’t and it holds him in place (none of that wonderful inside leg to outside hand feeling).  When I can’t get him to turn off of that outside shoulder I twist my upper body (making my seat actually lean the OTHER way).  When I can’t get him to move off of my left leg I crunch that whole side down until I’m a dang C; it surprisingly doesn’t make my left leg stronger in case anyone wanted to try it.  I’m sure I also have timing issues and lack of core strength and a million other things, but these are my current glaring frustrations.  Also my forever battle to sit up straight like a dang dressage rider and not a hunter.   


I feel like a lot of our struggles are turning into dressage struggles and less OTTB dumbs; which is progress for sure.  He’s also at a point where he’s getting fun to ride and adjustable.  I know a lot of our problems stem from me being a potato and not being knowledgeable in bringing a horse up through the levels.  I’ve ridden green horses to a forth level horse (and everything in between), but I haven’t ever taken a green horse to a forth level horse.  Poor Mort is my experiment in me being a trainer.  I have the feeling in my mind of what I want him to be someday but I don’t know how to get from point A to point Z (with a million sub-stops in between).  I know this is where lessons and clinics come in (going to a clinic this weekend!).  I just hope I’m not putting too many holes in his training that I’m going to regret later.  #adultamateurprobs

No comments:

Post a Comment