Monday, December 12, 2016

Blog Hop: 10 Questions

I'm not really sure whether I give credit to the person who I stole it from or who they stole it from, so I'm going to credit Confessions of A Dressage Barbie (http://www.dressagebarbie.com/2016/12/blog-hop-december-10-questions.html?m=1) and if you're interested you can jump over to hers and see who she got it from.

Does your horse need shoes?
When I first got him he was barefoot for a year.  This past summer I opted for front shoes because his feet were wearing down too quickly and he was ouchy on gravel.  I have kept the front shoes on.


What do you think of the barefoot vs. shoe debate?
I think people should shoe or not shoe their horse based on what that horse needs at that time.

I like barefoot only in that I really like the luxury of not ever getting the text "Your horse lost a shoe in turnout today".  Obviously with the answer to the above question though my horse's comfort always comes first.

Favorite season for riding?
Fall for sure.  I love the cooling temperatures and the spunk it tends to bring out in horses.

How many shows do you think you've gone to?
A lot--from a ton of fun shows when I was a kid (from hunter to western and things in between), to both recognized and schooling dressage shows in my more adult life.  

Do you consider yourself a good rider?
Yes, I think that I am generally a good rider.  My equitation can be really good when I'm on a horse who listens really well to the aids.  My equitation is OK when I'm training.  I am definitely not perfect, but I do continue to take lessons and constantly try to improve myself--which I think is the real mark of a good rider/horseperson.

How experienced do you think someone needs to be to own a horse?
I think it depends whether they plan on boarding/taking lessons/learning or keeping the horse at their own home.  I also think that the person caring a lot about listening to other equine professionals is important. So I guess my answer is less about experience and more about the person being willing to seek help when needed.

Of course they should know the basic handling/care/vitals to know when to contact that help.

Image result for upside down horse halter
This horse is tired of its novice owner probably

Have you ever gotten into a fight with your trainer?
No.  I'm an easy-going person so I don't fight easily.  I would only fight with someone if it came down to horse welfare issues--which I have thankfully never encountered with anyone who I have worked with.

Does anyone in your family ride?
My mother had horses growing up and I definitely got most of my care/medical knowledge from her (yay large animal vet techs!).
One of my sisters took lessons for a year in elementary school with me.
I have an aunt who had horses.
Currently I am the only one who actively rides and owns horses.

If you could ride any horse in the world, which one would it be?  Why?
Every dressage rider's answer:  Valegro
Honestly I'd love to ride a very well trained horse in all of the disciplines to get a taste of each of
them.

 Image result for valegro 
Who wouldn't want to ride that?




No comments:

Post a Comment