Friday, December 23, 2016

Another Day, Another Ride

     Of course since this past weekend was very cold and even more icy I didn’t get out to the barn.  This meant not only three days off for Mort, but also limited turnout.  He let me know on Monday that it wasn’t his favorite.  I did decide to start with a short lunge and kept it a simple ride.  He moved off my leg some and did the gaits that I asked for so I called it a win.  I could feel the energy bubbling below the surface. 

     Tuesday we had a more in-depth ride with some really satisfying trot work.  He is really catching on to those leg yields even when they come in places he doesn’t expect.  I did some canter each direction that was not very satisfying.  He was either dragging me down on the forehand or he was awfully unbalanced with his head high in the air.  He hung on the inside rein and he fell on that inside shoulder in the left lead.  He burrowed down and fishtailed in the right lead.  It was not ideal.  I just felt like all of the progress we had made last week fell away with just a few days off. 


     While obviously our schedule flew out the window I did still give him Wednesday off so that I could get in a long run.  This week will be spent getting him back right before he gets another few days off when I go home for Christmas.  Horses are fun and training is fun especially when it’s like 15 degrees.  Just keep riding.  

     Thursday I went out to find a fun, swollen scrape that ran behind his left elbow down to between his front legs.  Cleaned it up, gave him some meds and went home.  Hopefully by the time I get back Monday he'll be ready to get back to work...or at least get a lunge if it's still swollen.  Merry Christmas Mort--more time off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment