Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Lameness Update

Mort stayed very slightly lame all last week. He didn't have heat or swelling in his legs, nor did he respond to any poking and prodding that I tried. He was sound at the walk. He was sound at the trot tracking right. He had a tiny head bob tracking left. I gave him some time off with the intention to hop on Sunday to decide what to do. I had a fresh pair of eyes on him when he moved and to look over his legs. He was still slightly lame. She looked him over and thought that our best guess was a stone bruise. That made sense with his lack of other signs and it was certainly not a bad prognosis so I liked it. I talked to the other ladies at the barn. I talked to my mom. I thought about it long and hard. I decided to hold off on calling the vet. I figured if it was a stone bruise, waiting another week would fix it and I wouldn't spend any money unnecessarily. If it was something more serious, our walk rides and lots of days off probably wouldn't cause something more serious to get any worse. I hopped on yesterday for our easy ride. I have been doing 10-15 minutes of walking on the buckle, then trotting on the buckle to look for a head bob. Since I've been seeing it tracking left, we go back to walk and that's about it. Yesterday I didn't see a head bob. I did loose rein walk and trot a couple times and still couldn't see it. He felt forward and about the same as he normally does at the beginning of our rides. I decided to risk asking for more. I picked him up a little bit and continued on with our warm-up. I did some circles and changes of direction. I asked for connection. I did some canter each direction. I did small circles. I did some light lengthening. I did some leg yield. Throughout all of this, I would drop him back down to a loose rein trot and look for that head bob, but I kept not finding it. He felt forward and game to do a lot more than what I asked. We walked in the field and came back to the arena for more loose rein trot--still nothing. Of course, last night I was alone so there was no one else to confirm (or deny) that what I was seeing and feeling was real. I know Mort pretty well after our four years together. He doesn't always move like a "normal" horse right away, but he feels great after we get over the hump of how he carries himself. But, I was worried that I got used to him feeling 80% sound last week, so maybe last night he was 95% sound and it felt good in comparison. I was also worried that I was justifying him being sound because I want him to be, but maybe he was more abnormal than usual even though he felt great at the end. All of us horse-moms get a little paranoid when our horses aren't quite themselves, right? The barn owner got home as I was untacking, so I decided to throw Mort on the lunge line so we could both watch him go from the ground. I sent him out tracking left and asked for trot. He gave me his crappy little shuffle trot and it didn't look good at all. I figured that I had just ridden a lame horse and couldn't notice. But instead of letting those first few strides dictate it, I asked for a bigger trot. His head got steady and he looked sound. I trotted him around on the lunge for several minutes and he kept his more forward trot and looked fine. So now we're in a sort of limbo. The show's entries officially closed yesterday but I can pay $20 and late enter. I didn't feel quite confident enough to enter him last night before the deadline, though I did shoot the show secretary an email giving her the scoop. Basically, I'm going to wait until Thursday to decide. There will be people at the barn to watch us go on Thursday. If they think he's sound and I feel like he's sound, I'll enter the show and hope that it's not already full. If he's worse than he was before our ride, then it's probably more than a stone bruise and we may need some diagnostics. Here's to hoping that he's fully recovered and we can show.

No comments:

Post a Comment