Thursday, June 13, 2019

Goal Check-in

Checking in on my goals now that we're halfway through the year. Riding-Related: Show 2nd Level This could go either way but I'm putting it out there for the universe to know about it I semi-seriously considered showing 2nd at the show in June, but Mort's lameness nixed that. I do think if we keep on track that we'll definitely be there for the fall shows. Establish half-pass in trot and canter Within this is haunches-in in trot and canter as well I have not worked on this enough, though it's getting more consistent at the walk Be able to pick Mort up from a loose rein walk and have him "there" for me We were doing super with this! Lately it's been mediocre because I think I'm trying too hard. Still a work in progress. Develop Mort's medium/extended trot and canter This is coming along nicely. Develop a more relaxed "back-up" I need to do this more. He's always surprised by the first try, but then remembers what I'm asking for and does OK Establish a walking turn-on-haunches We've played with some really big ones, but I want to actually tackle them under the eye of my instructor Develop a more even seat Forever a work in progress Have more control over which seat bone carries more weight AKA: don't allow Mort's body to dictate my seat as much Getting more aware, but will probably always be a work in progress Develop more consistent hands AKA: an even feel of his mouth on both sides, not allowing one hand to become lazy Getting better, but will probably always be a work in progress Get better about the release of aids so that Mort can become lighter off of them All these rider goals are going to continue to be works in progress, but as long as I'm working on them that's what counts Don't allow myself to get frustrated I'm definitely a lot better about this than I was last year. Have my instructor out for 6 (or more) lessons She's been out for three and I'll have her out when Mort is sound again as I had to cancel a lesson for this week. I've also taken a lesson with another instructor. Attend 2 clinics Ideally as a rider, but auditor will also be acceptable This one has been rough. I was signed up for one, but it got cancelled. I was invited to another but it's the same weekend as the show (and now Mort's lame anyway). It's still on the list of things to do. Attend 2 shows Zero so far. The hope was June, September, and November--now maybe just September and November or I'll look for another schooling show. Horse-Related: Get Mort consistent about loading with a ramp I want Mort to calmly walk onto all three trailers that I have access This has happened! I haven't actually taken him anywhere, but he'll happily load on every trailer right now. Get our property horse ready Still a work in progress, but we've got 1.75 stalls built and most of the run-in. We've done major repairs to the old barn and purchased all/most of the fencing. Non Horse-Related: Run 2 half-marathons Ran my first one this past weekend! Run 6-8 miles/day 3-4 times/week This isn't happening, but I am at least running 3-4 days/week. I do have a new workout schedule for June-August. My body needs me to change things up and not just do long runs. Lose 5lbs And learn how to maintain that weight Well I'm certainly good at maintaining, but I haven't gotten those last 5lbs yet. I'm hoping the change in my exercise routine will help this. Work hard on getting our house built and working on our property Working hard on this all the time. My life is a tad stressful right now, that's for sure. We're supposed to break ground next week. Plant a small vegetable garden It's planted. It may not grow a single veggie, but there are some plants and they're alive for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment