Thursday, March 21, 2019

Trust the Process

I set up cones last night to work on accurate serpentines and circles. I figured if we were going to do a lot of figures that they might as well not be all over the place.

We warmed up on a loose rein walk. I slowly started to encourage contact and bend with just the inside rein. He didn't protest too much because that also meant he could fall out on that outside shoulder some. We did some loose rein trot around the edge and some large figure eights. He was happy and forward and listening to my legs and seat to turn but wanting to fall on that inside shoulder.

I picked him up for the cones. He was really messy and upside-down but we did get a little better as I stuck with it. I wish that I had placed the cones further apart because I think it was maybe a 15-meter circle instead of a 20-meter. I didn't account for how short my stride was when I walked it out. Good thing I'm not a h/j rider who places jumps regularly. I had some decent connection to the right but wasn't really getting what I wanted to the left.

I did some canter. His canter is really nice. I've been trying to play a bit with adjustability again and he's doing well. I'm trying to really be aware of my seat and hands. He still wants to overbend on the right lead but we're getting better about counter bend and counter canter that direction which is helping tremendously. The counter bend really helps rock him back on his hind-end as well.

In between some of the canter work I threw in more trot. It was messy and above the bit and tense. It was also on the bit and relaxed and forward. Our walk wanted to be tense and behind the bit and sticky, but not for too terribly long. We ended with some really nice forward, straight, bending, reaching trot both directions. I also ended with some relaxed, reaching straight, bending walk both directions. It was a longer ride and Mort was sweaty but I don't think he was struggling at the end physically or mentally.

I am (yet again) finding it hard to "trust the process" because whenever anything is less than ideal I assume that I'm doing something wrong. Basically, I don't know when to trust the process and when to readjust my training because this is my first time trying to bring a horse up the levels. For right now, I'm just trying to be consistent and patient and trust it. Mort understands and is capable of moving off my leg, bending, accepting contact, and all of the things that I'm currently asking of him. So for now, I'm trying to trust it.

I'm just quietly sitting up there when he wants to avoid contact. I'm trying to keep it consistent and soft and not cross my inside rein over his neck. I'm making sure he keeps trotting or walking and asking for more when it feels good. So far, he's better at the end of each ride so I'm hoping that means we're on the right track. I'm also planning for a lesson this weekend if the weather holds out to make sure I can trust myself to trust the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment