Wednesday, March 6, 2019

2019 Goals

You know the weather was bad in January and February when I'm starting to think about my 2019 goals in March.

Riding-Related:

  • Show 2nd Level
    • This could go either way but I'm putting it out there for the universe to know about it
  • Establish half-pass in trot and canter
    • Within this is haunches-in in trot and canter as well
  • Be able to pick Mort up from a loose rein walk and have him "there" for me
  • Develop Mort's medium/extended trot and canter
  • Develop a more relaxed "back-up"
  • Establish a walking turn-on-haunches

  • Develop a more even seat
  • Have more control over which seat bone carries more weight
    • AKA:  don't allow Mort's body to dictate my seat as much
  • Develop more consistent hands
    • AKA:  an even feel of his mouth on both sides, not allowing one hand to become lazy
  • Get better about the release of aids so that Mort can become lighter off of them
  • Don't allow myself to get frustrated
  • Have my instructor out for 6 (or more) lessons
  • Attend 2 clinics
    • Ideally as a rider, but auditor will also be acceptable
  • Attend 2 shows

Horse-Related:

  • Get Mort consistent about loading with a ramp
    • I want Mort to calmly walk onto all three trailers that I have access to
    • Several of my other goals will rely upon this one
  • Get our property horse ready

Non Horse-Related:

  • Run 2 half-marathons
  • Run 6-8 miles/day 3-4 times/week
  • Lose 5lbs
    • And learn how to maintain that weight
  • Work hard on getting our house built and working on our property
  • Plant a small vegetable garden



Some of these seem pretty reasonable and some seem like I'm trying to jam too much into what is going to be a very busy year. We'll see what happens. The whole point of this journal/blog is so that I can track our progress--even if that means I don't progress as much as I want.

2 comments:

  1. I love how mindful your riding goals are. And the goal about a garden has me remembering my own goal to do better by ours this year. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think that one and the trailer will be the hardest! It's hard to keep myself motivated throughout the summer on that garden.

      Delete