Friday, September 14, 2018

The Horse I Bought

Blog hopping to go back and think about how the Mort that I have today compares to the Mort I got a little over three years ago.

I met Mort on July 4, 2015 at the New Vocations facility in Lexington, KY. He wasn't a lot to look at; plain bay thoroughbred geldings are pretty common. He didn't have a ton of muscle but he went around nicely enough and seemed to have a good attitude about work. Most importantly, to me at the time, was that he was interested in interacting with people and that they could tack him loose in his stall. I thought those two items would eventually lead me to enjoying Mort as a companion as well as an athletic partner. I dropped $500 and started calling transport companies. He showed up to Missouri less than a week later.

He was on the lazy side on the lunge line. He was very unbalanced under saddle--especially at the canter. He was pretty spooky about nature and the big outdoors. He was super unhappy when his friends would go out if I was still riding him. He was still pretty sweet and paid attention to people. His balance got better. I was able to canter him in a 20-meter circle without him falling all over himself. We were trotting and changing bend. He started to understand contact.

We moved barns about six months in and he really started to settle. There were trails at this barn that we started to explore (with friends at first for confidence). The arenas were pretty small so he had to learn how to balance himself and slow down even more. We went to our first schooling show and I was amazed at how relaxed and wonderful he was. We spent the summer getting to trust each other on the trails and in the big field. He still spooked at things but I was learning that they were small and honest and something that I could ride without issues.

We started going to some clinics that winter. Our dressage really started to improve. We were working on lateral work and pushing into contact. Every time that we went someplace for a lesson he would step up his game and blow me away with his effort. We came out that spring ready to try some first level. His lengthenings weren't great, but we were on our way. More shows, clinics, and trail rides that summer lead us to our first recognized show last fall. It wasn't perfect, but he was respectable and we got better throughout the weekend.

After our show he was having issues that we finally diagnosed as ulcers. I got a new job and was finding it hard to drive out to the barn with the new schedule. So we moved. At the new barn we developed a few new issues, but most of those have worked themselves out (except for the trailer thing). He's had a pretty disrupted few years. I've moved three times, and so has he. He'll have another move next year sometime to our new property, but hopefully that will be the last one for a long time. We're working on second level, but haven't done much in the way of dressage this year.

Mort has had a few personality changes along the way, but he still tries his best. He is still a honest spooker (even if the reason is dumb). He's a reactive, sensitive, and smart horse. He has made me a better rider. He will continue to make me a better rider. He's forgiving enough that he puts up with me training him and continues to improve. He's smart enough that he won't forgive me for everything and makes me earn our improvement. He's a challenge and can be frustrating. But he's so honest and goofy that he never lets it get boring. I can't wait until he comes home to our property. I have lots of plans for future trail rides with the husband. I want to continue to go to clinics and shows. I want to watch him grow old and get fat and happy in the field when his legs give out eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment