Friday, September 15, 2017

Bad Days

     Since Tuesday was one of our best rides ever, it is only fair that yesterday left me wanting.  Mort wasn't awful by any means but I couldn't consistently get him to use his haunches and really push into the bit.  It was fairly warm and Mort is really lazy in the heat.  I don't blame him, but when I tried to get him a bit more forward he just got hollow and crappy.  Instead of giving me a good bend he just kept trying to throw his shoulder out or head tilt.

     It was hot and frustrating.  I did a lot of transitions and tried bend/counter-bend.  I tried to throw in some trot/halt/trot.  He did stretch down fairly well for me--something the heat usually helps with--but still wanted to throw out his shoulders instead of bending.  I eventually took a walk with him, did a little stretchy trot and quit.

     I was disappointed that I never really got him working the way that I wanted but I didn't think we were ever going to get there.  Mort and I are really progressing as a team and these bad days are all part of training.  I just need to get off, give him a good brushing and ear rub, and try again the next day.

     Tomorrow is a small, local schooling show.  Today I'll give Mort and stretchy and easy ride.  I'll bathe him and clean my tack.  We'll load up early in the morning and see which Mort I mount up on.  Hopefully he'll be energetic but responsive.  If not, I'll do the best with what I'm given.  Shows and the week before a show aren't the time to train hard or pick fights.  In the end, as long as Mort has a fairly happy and relaxing experience that's what matters.  Every trip is an opportunity to set us up for success down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment