Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Back to the Grind

     On Monday Mort and I started in the field.  The field has rolling hills and a lot of open space—both great for mental and physical exercise.  We started with some big, forward walking around the perimeter (got to make sure all the scary things aren’t actually scary).  I played with some free-swinging trot around some of the perimeter after that.  That’s honestly about all I usually do out there since it’s hard to get him to focus.  But instead of heading back to the arena so soon I decided to try and play with some ‘real’ work. 

     We went to a fairly flat area that was big enough to get in an 18-meter circle.  I started with just a simple trot circle to the right (our better direction).  It was really tough to get him to focus and listen to me balance him on the slight incline and not to drift toward the way home.  We did a lot of half-halting and a couple of canter transitions (because leg=forward in the field).  He finally started to focus and let me balance him for the downhill portion while letting me help him maintain an even circle.  We even got a bit of canter (on purpose this time).  We then switched directions and had to do it all over again.  After all of that I played with some trot lengthenings.  He’s really starting to use those shoulders of his, but I’m not sure yet how it will translate to a dressage arena. 

     It rained Monday night into Tuesday so Mort was a muddy mess when I got him from turn-out last night (Tuesday).  I decided to give him a full scrubbing since he hasn’t had a good bath in a while due to it being winter (don’t tell the weather).  After he was sparkly and clean I lunged him.  At first he was for sure lunging me.  He does the same thing Emma (my pup) does after a bath which is bolt and bounce around.  There were moments where his hind legs were pogo-sticking together.  Ridiculous boy.  After he decided that was over he worked well for me on the lunge and we got to work on w/t/c over a pole. 


     After all of that he got brushed again (because the hair is really coming out) and I fed him.  My heart is sad that I know he’s probably already rolled today in turn-out (because he’s Mort), but I’m glad I got a go at all that winter scuzz.  

No comments:

Post a Comment