Monday, May 4, 2020

Down a Rabbit Hole

So, Mort has decided to stop cleaning up his feed. I'm not sure if it's because he's eating so much grass now. I'm not sure if he doesn't like the bug supplement. He's been on it for several summers, but he's on a different feed this summer that may not cover the flavor as much? It could be that he was fighting some gas colic with all the weather changes and lush grass. After going down several rabbit holes and talking with my vet and horse friends (and the internet), I've decided to change up his feed situation. He's shiny and acting normal. I've ridden him. He's active and attentive to life around him. He's pooping and peeing normally (though there was a day where I thought even his peeing was weird). Overall I guess he seems fine. I'd like a teeny bit more weight on him, but he's in no way embarrassing, just not quite dressage horse fit. I never really loved the SafeChoice, but it was available locally and had protein and starch and sugar levels I was happy with. However, I was unhappy with the fat levels so he had rice bran added back in for that. Then over the years his supplement list has gotten longer and longer. He started off with a hoof supplement. Then we had his ulcer issues a couple years ago. Then I had a stifle issue last summer. Over the years we've gotten to where I may need a support group called "supplements anonymous". The new feed has Stride 101 in it which is supposed to support hooves, hindgut and his skin and coat. The feed itself also has pro and prebiotics. That adding to the fact that I should theoretically need to feed a good bit less of it makes me feel good about his tummy and digestion. So I started looking into reducing some of his supplements as well! So here is a breakdown of what Mort is currently on: SafeChoice Special Care 3/4 of a scoop twice a day Protein - 14% Fiber - 17% Starch - 10% Fat - 7% Sugar - 3% Nutrena Empower Boost (rice bran): 1/4 scoop twice a day to add some fat into his diet that the Special Care was missing Protein - 12% Fiber - 8% Starch - 22% Fat - 22% Sugar - 4% SmartCombo Pellets (Skin/coat, hindgut, hooves, joint) G.U.T. (ulcer support) SmartBug-Off (he and Blue are on this April-September) And here is what I'm going to transition Mort to over the next month or so: Bluebonnet Intensify Omega Force: 1/2 scoop twice a day (I will need to weigh it to get a more accurate estimate on what he needs) Protein - 12% Fiber - 12% Starch - 10% Fat - 12% Sugar - 5% No rice bran G.U.T SmartBug-Off Equithrive Original Joint (one of the joint supplements that has scientific research behind it) His feed will go from $19/bag to $34/bag, so we're looking at $.38/lb versus $.68/lb. But I won't be buying rice bran and I'll be able to feed less of the feed itself. So we'll see how the costs shake out in the long run. And I'll also be saving about $20/month on supplements while adding a much nicer joint supplement versus the one he is currently on within the SmartCombo. So, that is a win there. I figured it was as good of a time as any to make some of these changes. We're not travelling or showing in the near future. He's got grass to help with any caloric or GI issues this may cause (hopefully none).

No comments:

Post a Comment