Friday, September 7, 2018

Inconsistency

I'm starting to really notice a theme with Mort.

We start off with a nice swinging walk both directions while he works out any kinks he may have from being in the stall.

I go to pick him up and play with a few things at the walk
Option A: he does them OK but is sorta sticky
This option works out quickly and we generally go on to have a nice ride
Option B: he hates life and gets tight and sticky and crooked
This option means we're on the struggle bus

Trot
Option A: I let him have a lower frame and do some bigger figure eights to continue our warm-up. We do some transitions between walk and trot. I start to play with lateral work and transitions within trot. We do several changes of direction and I start to get some collection.
Option B: I try to get him soft and supple by doing a ton of bend/counter-bend and changes of direction. I also throw in transitions within the gait to help with the forward. I only do a couple transitions between walk and trot since they just lead to more crooked and tense pony moments.
Option 1: He gets better and starts to work out of it
Option 2: We're still tense and crooked and behind my leg

Canter
Option A: We do canter. It usually starts off a bit behind my leg but gets better. Play with figure eights, transitions, counter canter, etc. depending on the day.
Option B: I try canter to see if it will help with the forward.
Option 1: Usually does help with the forward and being looser along his topline. Start to play with transitions, lateral work, changes of direction in both trot and canter. Sometimes it's still a bit of a struggle and I don't push for too much beyond getting him soft and supple.

At this point all of the different scenarios are coming to be the same. If we started off well he's probably nearing the end of his ride. If we started off medium I'll play a bit more with him but be happy to end as it feels right. If we started off terribly I'll most likely play a bit more with trot just to get to where he's fairly soft and supple then end with some big stretchy figure eights. Every single ride ends with me picking him up in the walk and letting him back down when he's soft and supple--I do this until he does it without hesitation a couple times each direction. Sometimes I'll jump off then and sometimes we'll go for a wander in the pasture or on the trails.

I need someone to tell me why we're so inconsistent. I know that I don't show up the exact same every day but I need to know why Mort shows up so tight and tense sometimes. Is it physical? What would be so inconsistently physical and something that he could work out of throughout the ride? Does he need even more walking at the beginning? Do I need to focus more on the walk work and figure out how to get him un-stuck there before moving on? Am I ruining my pony with bad training and that's why he doesn't want to play sometimes? If only horses could talk…

I should be getting my saddle back from the fitter soon. I'm interested to see if that helps. Mort will be going back to day turnout sometime which may help if it's simple stiffness. The vet is coming out at the end of the month for his annual float. I'm hoping to have someone watch us go to see if they notice anything. Sometimes he does a funky thing with his hind end that could be reacting to bad timing on my part or something with a joint back there. If my ground person sees something I'll have the vet look at him. I think the most logical reasoning is just that I'm not consistent enough. We'll see what the next month brings now that I'm not galivanting away on vacation and work trips for a while.

2 comments:

  1. I always joke that my pony is consistently inconsistent. I've had my trainer ride her too, and some days she just isn't feeling it. In all fairness with her, she's not that enthusiastic by nature, and does not like working hard so any time I push a little past that she'll be grumpy the next day. We do a ton in walk to unlock her, but if the tightness is caused by extra energy, canter is a better bet. They're all such individuals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a puzzle but I guess that's what keeps us interested!

      Delete