Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Show Recap

Mort and I debuted together at training level and first level this weekend.  He broke both of his maidens with a 70% and 67%.  My goals for this show were to see where we were in show situations, so him doing that well was above and beyond.  My other two goals were to play with big, fun movement in training level.  And I wanted, calm and obedient in first level.  I should have come up with tougher goals—and I’m sure I will next time—because I think we accomplished those well enough. 

When I hopped on for our first warm-up I definitely had more horse under me than at home.  My original warm-up plan was to rev him up enough to be ‘fancy’ in training level.  I quickly decided that re-installing the half halt was probably more in line with what we needed to work on.  We did some big trot work and a handful of canter transitions.  He finally settled enough that he would walk on a loose rein for me (unless someone walked by or another horse started talking) it was pretty much time to show. 

Mort gave me some really good connection and powered well from behind.  I probably could have pushed for more, but I think I would have gotten some tension with it.  I was pretty happy with our trot work.  He didn’t stretch down for our stretchy trot circle as well as at home, but I think part of it was my fault for being too defensive in my riding.  Our walk work was acceptable, though I want more in the free walk.  I know that he has an awesome swingy walk in him, I’ve just got to find a way to release it during a test.  Our canter work was fair; I got a fun comment of “unfortunate canter depart’ which I cannot disagree with at all.  I am happy with how he stayed with me and had some reasonable bend in the left lead.  We pulled a 70% which I was pleasantly surprised with. 

The second warm-up plan was to get some of that extra energy out so that his little brain could get back in his head, but I think I pushed too far.  He was awesome for me in the warm-up and we had a couple of really fun lengthenings in both trot and canter.  He was really in the bridle and moving off of my legs well.  But a combination of me over-shooting the warm-up by about five minutes and the show falling behind schedule by a little over five minutes (there was a loose horse) we had a good ten minutes to kill with loose rein walking.  Obviously this wasn’t ideal, but Mr. Mort was game enough anyway when it came to test time. 

I rode mainly sitting trot in our first level test, which helped keep him more with me.  The lengthen trots were mediocre, noticeable but nothing special.  I felt like I had about a year and a half for our leg yields since I’m used to asking for a lot more steepness at home.  This left us with what felt like not a lot of angle—definitely go straight longer next time.  Our walk work was about the same quality as it was in the other test.  The canter got no “unfortunate” comments.  He was with me and listening.  The lengthens were on the forehand and the transition back to working canter was a muddled along in the corner.  He also wanted to step around in the halt, but did settle to be square finally.  We earned a 67% in this test which I was of course happy with as well. 

Overall I think this show went really well.  Mort showed me where he was mentally and physically.  I got a better idea of what type of warm-up that I need and what items we need to keep working on.  Watching the videos and paying attention to my riding was a bit painful.  Since Mort was such a handful at first, I went into defensive riding mode, which means super crouched forward with my upper body.  Strangely this doesn’t help keep him off of his forehand or think half halt.  I need to focus more on my riding and it will definitely be a goal for our next show. 


Stay tuned for some updated goals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment