Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mort's Training Continues

     The purpose of this post is to bring everyone up-to-date on what I have done with Mr. Mort since his time off due to injury (which will probably get a post someday if any of you enjoy gross pictures).

     As with most OTTBs Mort had a lot of the same traditional issues--crooked, stiff, and not really knowing what leg pressure means other than forward.  Before he got hurt he had gotten really good at turn on the forehand and walking turn on the forehand.  So I decided to pick up from there and make my winter goals with him to get him pretty consistent at moving off my leg aids in at least some fashion and to get him good at stretchy trot. 

 That shiny summer coat means winter is really over

     We moved barns at the end of January and after a couple weeks there Mort really just took that deep breath and relaxed.  He really enjoys Arrowhead Creek Stables' atmosphere (http://www.arrowheadcreek.com/) and has blossomed.  With his extra-wonderful new relaxation he has progressed quickly.  Now stretchy trot is one of his favorite things and I always use it as a tool to get him really moving over his topline at the beginning of a ride and as a reward at the end.  I also really appreciate having it as a good foundation to go back to for some of our rides that are more of a struggle.  As far as moving off of my leg he is getting more and more consistent with that as well.  We now have a pretty reasonable leg yield going both directions and a reasonable shoulder-in on good days.  

     Another very exciting development in his new confidence and relaxation is that he has become a wonderful trail horse.  It's very important to me that horses can ride in and out of arenas.  Trails give us the chance to take a mental break from schooling.  They give us desensitizing opportunities with many different things.  They give us hills for muscles and in the big field we get to have fun with canter and trot repeats.  He really loves going on trails with his lady-friend Ruby and I enjoy Ruby's mom Leah (http://www.dressagebarbie.com/).  He is still a bit lonely when we go on the trails solo, but I think he will learn to love even single horse trail rides.

Hitting the trails


     There was a dressage schooling show in March that one other gal at the barn was going to.  She had an extra spot in her trailer and everyone convinced me that it would be a great first show experience for Mort.  I was a bit nervous and really wanted to make it a fun and relaxing time for him so I just signed up for one intro level test (Intro Test B).  Mort walked around the facility with minimal side-eyes at things so I decided to tack him up and see how it went.  After his first trot around the warm-up I had suspicions that he was actually a show horse and not a racehorse before I got him.  He was absolutely wonderful and we pulled a 67% and a first place at our first show together.  Even more than that he stood tied to the trailer, loaded, tacked, and was just perfect (I think I called everyone I knew to brag about him).  I was beyond proud and happy.

 A shot from our first dressage test
 So proud of him

     A few weeks later there was another dressage schooling show at a nearby facility.  A couple gals from the barn were going again so I hitched a ride for round two.  This time I decided on Intro A and Intro B.  This show wasn't quite as relaxing as our warm-up was outside and it was a very windy day.  Mort was still wonderful, just a bit more "looky" than usual.  That being said, one test we got a 62% and second place and the other test we pulled a 72%.  That 72% ended up earning us Champion Intro and High-Point TIP from the show.  We now call him my secret show horse because he adapted to being a show horse so quickly and easily.

 So handsome in our warm-up 

A shot from one of the actual tests
Cleaned up at horse show-round 2

     In the last month I have started having to think about new goals for us which is a wonderful feeling.  So, our official goals for this summer are getting better at our transitions as he has the tendency to get really tight and nervous still (though after about a half stride he relaxes again) and to get our canter relaxed and mold-able.  I do think that both of these are very attainable with lots of time left over for trail riding.

A lovely example of one of our less-than-ideal canter transitions 

Just about a stride or two later--we relax (and I need to sit back gosh darn it)

That's all for now folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment