Friday, August 25, 2017

Progression

     I think one of the most fun things about retraining an OTTB is watching them change over time.  Mort was a lean, tight, and unbalanced when I first got him.  He had a lot of the traditional OTTB issues.  The first goal was to get him less tense and reactive.  The first six months showed tremendous progress on that front--especially on the ground.  I started trying to play with that balance by really starting to play with lateral work a lot more after that.  All the while, I was trying to find a formula with his grain and hay to pack on some quality pounds of muscle.  Of course will all things in the horse world we'd find something that worked for a while and then have to switch it up as things changed.  You can read the blog for all of our history of injuries, moving, and just general training issues.

     Overall, though I am very happy with how Mort has come along.  I'm sure he could have come along much faster if he had been ridden by a professional, but he's really turning into quite a good little citizen.  I threw him on the lunge line Monday and really enjoyed watching him work.  He was relaxed and working well over his topline in a stretched frame and big stride.  Even his canter transitions were uphill and uneventful.  It's really awesome to see how strong and confident he is now with just a bridle and a lunge line.  Enjoy the pictures of our journey below.


Mort's second or third ride in Missouri


Lean, mean, OTTB machine in the first month I had him


One of our three month update photos



Late November--one of my first rides back after his injury


Starting to put on some muscle in December (5 months)


Our six month update photo


Still kinda scrawny and awkward (but also super cute) about 7 months in


9 months--showing Intro at our second schooling show


Early summer last year (9-10 months)


One year update--shiny but still not as muscled as I'd like


13-14 months working on relaxation in different places


1.5 years looking sharp for a clinic 


A little over 1.5 years--definitely looking more like a sport horse


1 year 9 months showing First level at local schooling show 


2 years
Snoozing in the new digs (third physical move, same barn family as second move)


2 years 1 month--filling out some over the topline and showing better muscling 


      Mort and I have had a few ups and downs.  He's taken a while to gain all that muscle that I look for as a dressage rider.  It took a little bit for us to fully mesh in our partnership.  I think we're on the right track now and look forward to our future progress shots!

I apologize for sucking at taking pictures of him standing around.  Our riding shots are usually good but I never take enough time to stand him properly for a good confirmation shot.  My bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment