Wednesday, July 26, 2017

So Itchy

     Ugh, poor Mr. Mort came in yet again with a swollen eye yesterday.  I'm not sure what it's from this time as he didn't lose his mask and we kept it on him all day in his stall.  Needless to say, we didn't get a ride in yesterday.  I spent time grooming him and getting all of his itchy spots taken care of.  Then putting ointment on all of the aforementioned itchy spots (poor OTTB in the pasture in the summer).  According to the BM his eyes are better this morning so I may go out tonight and try to fit in a ride--or just take care of more itchy spots depending on how he's doing.

     I'm working on ordering ingredients for a homemade bug spray that we used growing up.  Fred used to get really bothered by the small biting gnats and this really helped him.  We used the homemade stuff in combination with Ultra Shield Ex (still my favorite for "regular" fly spray) and didn't seem to have as many skin/bug issues as Mort is fighting this year.  I know that Missouri is a lot buggier, especially with ticks, than Indiana and TBs are often super sensitive, but more things fighting the bugs and itchies won't hurt.  (Right?)  It has Avon's Skin So Soft in it, so I'm hoping that will help with his skin issues some at the very least.

     In other words, it's looking like another somewhat light week for Mort and I.  I've got some mending to do on one of his fly masks and his fly sheet so I'll have to spend at least one evening doing that this week.  I'm spending time online shopping for ingredients (essential oils is ruining my life with their stupid small containers taking over the market when I'm looking for 16oz).  Hopefully I can get a few rides in this week and we can enjoy some relatively cooler weather.  I'm in charge of chores a couple days this weekend, so barring more swollen eyes or other issues I'm sure I'll find the time.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment