Monday, June 12, 2017

Clinic Re-Cap

Mort and I both adventured to a clinic at Riverside Equestrian Center this weekend with Britta Johnston.  We rode Saturday and Sunday and I spent the day Saturday auditing.  It’s a lovely, friendly facility and I love when they host Britta. 

Day One:
I think the major take-away from our first lesson was to step-up my game in the upper body department.  While I know that it is my major downfall as a rider, it is still really hard for me to be on top of it at all times.  But when there is someone there to break it down into individual body parts and I get to see how it affects Mort’s way of going it really drives home.  I think this lesson will be a good kick in the pants for me to focus even more on how my riding affects Mort.  We’ve all heard of a horse’s “self-carriage” but she said that we need rider self-carriage as well if we are to expect it from our horses.  It makes sense and I need to just do it. 
We worked on our centerlines.  Mort and I definitely need to practice more of these.  We come into it really strong but then when I ask him to trot away it all falls apart for several strides.  I simply think that more halts into trots will solve these issues.  We worked on quality of gaits and me keeping a ‘hard core’ (I thought the wording was funny)—especially in the transitions.  Overall a good lesson with an uphill and attentive Mort. 

Day Two:
                We worked on running through First Level Test Two.  Britta wants us to break 70’s and earn our first and second level scores toward my bronze within the year (training and skill-wise I think possible, but we’ll have to keep an eye on the budget).  In the two shows this year Mort has earned mid-to-high 60’s.  Running through the tests looking for brilliance had Mort giving me brilliance—in both good and bad ways.  Britta pointed out that if I don’t ask for more I simply will never get the quality of gaits that brilliance requires.  I’m often cautious to ask him for more, because asking for a lot takes away from our suppleness and relaxation, but at this point I need to just get over it.  Staying within our comfort zones will never be as fun as pushing to the edge.  It’ll also never produce as good of scores.
                We ran through the test three times.  She pointed out that if I want to be a good test rider then I need to practice riding tests (something I don’t do often).  Mort will never be the flashiest mover or have the best extensions but I need to run through tests to know where else we can make up the points.  He has a good canter.  We can improve our transitions, etc. 



                So day one was showing me where I need to improve in my body.  Day two was giving homework and setting goals.  I am really happy that she thinks we should easily be showing second level in the next year and that we should be able to do well at recognized shows at first level very soon.  I told her that my long-term goal for Mort was to earn my bronze medal on him and she said that it shouldn’t be a long-term goal at all but rather something within the next couple years.  Obviously a lot of this will depend on his soundness (and my monies), but it’s all very motivating.  I love coming out of clinics with renewed ambition and motivation.  Mort and I have lots of fun things in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment