Thursday, May 18, 2017

May 10 Questions

      What are your summer goals?
Goals would be to really step-up Mort and I to second level work—better connection and thoroughness in all things. 
Start training for my half-marathon this fall. 

2.      Do you have any tips or tricks for fly control?
Not really anything new or unusual.  Mort wears a fly mask and fly sheet (with a hood and belly band).  I use a couple different kinds of fly spray; my go-to is UltraShield usually.  I’m currently trying out horse leg bands that have insecticide in them.  I’ve not had them long enough to decide how I feel about them yet.  I may do a review later. 

How often do you bathe your horse?
I hose him down after most rides in the summer, but full on baths usually only happen when we go out in public or if he just super dirty.  

3.      Do you have any upcoming travel plans?  Equine related or otherwise?
My last post had Mort’s travel plans.  We’ve got a couple clinics and schooling shows.  Steven and I will undoubtedly camp a handful of times this summer.  We also want to visit my sisters (Chicago and Ohio).  Plans aren’t set yet, but we’ll be out and about taking a couple long weekends. 

4.      What is your favorite way to beat the heat?
Fantasize about moving north or to the mountains.  A cold beer does me good.  Fishing on the river.  Float trips. 
As far as working my horse and running—try to get some early mornings in and keep an eye on our heat/humidity fitness. 

5.      Do you do anything to prevent your horse from sunbleaching?
Not on purpose.  They go out at night during the summer and Mort has a lot of fly gear that for sure helps. 

6.      How hot is too hot for you to ride?
If I’m planning on riding I’m probably gonna ride no matter the heat.  However, I will for sure take into account my horse and potentially do some simple/easy work.  I run throughout the summer in Missouri with temps in the upper 90’s and stifling humidity so I think that we adapt fairly well to our environments if given the chance.  Early summer is always the hardest and I take it easier.  Getting early morning rides in on the weekend is better though. 

7.      How important is sun protection for you riding or just in general?
I have a moisturizer with sunscreen in it that I put on every day.  If I’m just out for a regular ride I’m not gonna put sunscreen on (though I fully know that I should).  If it’s longer than an hour or so I’ll make sure to lather up.  Outside of horse activities has the same rule-of-thumb—anything longer than an hour or so. 

8.      Have you ever gone swimming with your horse?
Nope.  Mort takes convincing to go around puddles while I’m on him, but also LOVES swimming in the pond in turnout so I honestly have no idea how it would go if I tried, probably not well.

9.      And because shopping is always on my mind, what’s on your summer wish list?
I always have an ongoing list of horse items that I want; this is my current one.
White show breeches (Most of mine are getting off-white)
Roller spurs
Schooling pads
Bell boots (any suggestions on some that don’t break after a few months?)
Black polo wraps
Saddle adjustment 
Bling browband
New show shirts
Fly bonnet

May 10 Questions was stolen from http://liz-stout.blogspot.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment