Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Plugging Away

     I haven't had much to say for a minute.  It's not to mean that I haven't been playing with my favorite four-legged guy, I just haven't felt that we've had anything spectacular (or awful) to write about.

     It was rainy for a good two weeks--Mort got stuck inside a lot.  Only the indoor was available which meant a lot of arena-sharing (and I'm a selfish dressage human who wants to do more than ride along the rail).  Mort kept his sanity and I held in my frustrations.  We worked on the things that we always work on plus a few newer items.

     I want him more "inside leg to outside hand" especially tracking left.  I want less tension in the canter transitions.  We've played with some poles--something he really is getting good with.  We've started walk to canter transitions.  I've ridden bareback a few times.  Now that the rain has stopped we've hit the trails a couple times.  He lost a shoe; we found the shoe.

     Every ride I work hard to push him in some way but maintain a happy, relaxed horse who continues to improve and expand his comfort zone.  Mort is really getting to be a fun, adjustable horse and I'm enjoying our journey together, but that's not always exciting blog fodder.

     We have another schooling show this weekend.  I'm signed up for First 1 and First 2.  I'd potentially like to push for a bit more flash in his gaits.  I need to ask for more stretch in the stretchy trot and more angle in the leg yields.  It is a facility that we have only been to one other time (the same schooling show last year), but it was a nice organization with a fun show.  Hopefully Mort brings some of his firecracker personality, but only enough to get pretty gaits and not enough to get too expressive in those canter transitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment